Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Flight Jacket Case

The Air is looked at as a significant investment. While the HD edition falls midrange in the laptop market price range between the Macbook and Pro and the SSD version is priced with the PC's world's coolest hardware, the Sony sub-Vaio, prices are not really out of line. But there's the Air stigma of uniqueness and a premium price for it. So it's an investment worthy of it's own unique case that meets your needs for minimalist size and function. I'm sure you've tried to put your Air into any generic computer case and quickly found there's a lot of wasted space as it slogs around inside an oversize laptop pocket.

I recently picked up a Flight Jacket from Mac Case. It's designed specifically for the Air and more importantly: for the requirements of Air users. An example is the detachable SuperDrive pocket. This is engineered well. The fit for the SuperDrive is perfect. And the pocket, or lack of it when detached, is unobtrusive. I dislike the wide metal buckle they used to join the pocket. I know it was done to keep the case classic by not putting any plastic on it, but I'm not a fan of metal around computer finishes. As I don't carry my SuperDrive around much, my pocket holds my SuperDrive at home, but it's nice to have something to keep it in and not gathering dust on the desktop.

The photo here really can't show you just how sleek this case is. It's 10 by 14 and not as thick as a standard laptop computer, even when holding the air. You can fit it inside the notebook slot of a backpack or standard case. Despite the size limitation, Mac Case has done a fine job of engineering pocket space without adding any bulk. The front flap has a nice pocket for flat stuff. I keep my biz card case in mine. You don't want to over stuff this pocket or the bag's velcro won't seal and it it looks completely geeky. The back pocket holds a large Moleskin reporter's notebook or a folded magazine. Mac Case could have made this a little wider to hold standard 8 1/2 by 11 items by just modifying the stitching slightly. Again, I'm sure this was a style consideration to keep the case looking it's sleekest. And when it comes down to picking nits with style, isn't a folded magazine so much more classy? Have you ever seen Tyra Banks walking around with an unfolded magazine tucked under her arm?

The truly functional pocket is the one on the front under the flap. It can hold your charger, a wireless Mighty Mouse (or portable hard drive) as well as the ethernet and video adapters and personal stuff, yet not even be noticed. There are also two bottom metal hooks to connect the optional backpack straps. Don't negate these as storage when needed, like hooking on a water bottle. It looks tacky, but it's very functional. And I saw Tyra Banks do it.

The case has a velcro seal, as does the pocket. I'm not crazy about velcro, since it is nowhere near as secure as a buckle or zipper and snags clothing. I'm sure it was chosen since it's so thin. And the Flight Jacket pocket holds the Air securely, so there's no danger that it will slip out if the velcro gets opened accidentally.

Yeah I'm being picky. But for the price I have every right to be. You've never spent this much before on a laptop case. $170. But as with all I buy for the Air, I didn't just buy the computer, I bought the Air line (excuse the pun.) I'm expecting that in a few years a new Air will come along with the same form factor and I'll already have a case for it, wonderfully weathered and broken in.

I bought the Vintage leather case. There's also black and brown finished leather. The Vintage is nubuk or smoothed suede, which you really can't tell from the picture here. So if you're not a suede fan, avoid Vintage. If you do choose it over finished leather, immediately spray it with a protectant, even if you plan to let it weather well. Putting some protectant deep into the leather will help it weather into a classy patina as opposed to getting splotchy with rain stains.

As for geek factor, boys you'll get comments that you're carrying a "man bag." I thwart these by opening it up and showing that is not a power purse, a hunk handbag or a macho makeup case, but actually a very cool laptop case. As for the girls, the backpack strap option looks adorable flaunting both extreme power and extreme style. It's a case not only befitting the Air, but as unique as the Air.

No comments: